|Hospice is a special kind of care for patients and families facing a
life-limiting illness. At the center of hospice is the belief that each of us has
the right to die pain-free and with dignity, and that our families will receive
the necessary support to allow us to do so. NCHS is pleased to offer this
service locally through a branch agency of Altru Hospital of Grand Forks.
• Treats the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of those they serve.
• Provides care in the patient's home, or in a home-like setting. Such as nursing
• Supports family and caregivers by offering counseling, training and information.
• Helps patients live pain-free and as comfortable as possible to ensure the best
possible quality of life.
• Provides supplies, medicines and equipment needed to maintain quality of life.
• Hospice offers choices and honors the wishes of the patient.
Hospice Care Includes:
• Nursing services
• Physician services
• Aide for bathing and personal care
• Spiritual, emotional, and other counseling
• Dietary counseling
• Physical, occupational, and speech language therapy
• Volunteer support
• Medications for pain relief and symptom management
• Medical supplies and equipment
• Continuous care during periods of crisis
• Grief and bereavement services
• Hospital care
• Registered nurses (24-hour access)
• Social Workers
• Bereavement counselors
• Specially trained volunteers
|Services are eligible for coverage by North Dakota and Minnesota Blue Cross,
Medicare, Medicaid and other commercial and private insurance companies.
Hospice services will be billed to your insurance.
|Home services are offered to Nelson County residents and fringe bordering counties through a
branch agency of Altru Home Services of Grand Forks. With one phone call, Home Services can
assess the patient and their family needs, communicate with the physician and set up needed
services or home visits. An initial home visit may be done to evaluate the situation if the needs are
uncertain which can be done at no charge to the patient.
If the criteria for coverage are met, Home Services are covered by
Medicare, Medicaid and most insurances.
Home Care: Skilled nurses, aides, PT, OT, and Speech Therapists, and a
Medical Social Worker are available for services which include:
•Skilled observationRespiratory Therapy: Available services include assessments, nebulizer
•Bladder and bowel training
•Medication and nutrition monitoring
•Teaching home management of chronic diseases
machines, oxygen set up and training, and equipment for home oxygen
Call Nelson County Health System at 701.322.4328 and ask for Home Care